Monday, October 03, 2005

"It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend." --William Blake

Write about a time when you felt left out.

Well, well...this is a too-easy subject for me. As the youngest of three (with two big brothers), and the perpetual new kid (I've moved about nine times), I know what it means to be on the outside-looking-in. What might be difficult is just writing about one time.
When I was ten, my family and I lived in Clermont-Ferrand, France. My brother Brandon and I went to a private Catholic school, St. Alyre, in the downtown area, where Michelin housed a small English-speaking school for kids like me.
The building was terrifying: made of black, porous volcanic rock, it was older than America by hundreds of years. There were hidden catacombs twining underground that were used during the French Revolution, and nuns (I had never seen a nun up-close before ) taught the classes. To me, the classes seemed like Little House on the Prairie: there were big wooden desks with benches attatched which two students shared, and a big platform in front of the chalkboard where the teacher stood.
So you're thinking I felt left out because I couldn't speak French and I was afraid of the nuns.
Not true. In my small English-speaking class (first through fifth grade in one room), I felt the most left out. There was one other girl my age named Karen. She had two older siblings just like me, and I was so happy to have a friend. Envisioning sleep-overs and playing outside, I instead found that I was "immature" because I still liked playing outside and playing Pretend.
So I was left out. I made friends with a little girl named Amelie, and through sign language and simple simple French, Pretended to be shopkeepers, making things out of leaves to sell. I realize now this does seem immature, and I also know now that we all mature at different rates. But I do appreciate that children stay children longer in France, and I am very thankful for my stolen years of childhood.
The feeling of "left out" was a small price to pay for those precious times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home