Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"Live in the sunshine" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
What do you like most about where you live now?
Greenville has grown on me, that is for certain. When I was in high school, my friend Baker and I swore we would never move back here after college, we called it "Small Town Disease," and we were not going to catch it. I think what we meant by that is we wanted to be somebodies, to do many somethings with our lives.
So he's in Baltimore, and I have Small Town Disease. I am fine with that. Like I said, there is much about this place that I have grown to love. Downtown is a favorite spot--I love how Reedy River hems in the bottom of Main Street, how on the weekends and sunny afternoons the park is confettied with people. I feel proud to bring out-of-town friends downtown just to walk across Liberty Bridge (a friend and I once ate Krispy Kremes in the middle of that bridge in the middle of the night in pajamas--I still smile when I walk past in broad daylight).
I love the feeling of the familiar, and the sense of change and growth here. All at once, this place is and is not the same small town where I spent my high school years.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Brown I am in your newspaper class. Hi. You are cool!!!

Wednesday, November 02, 2005 12:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home