Thursday, March 23, 2006

"I love sleep. My life has a tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?" --Ernest Hemingway
Do you use sleep as an escape? Explain.
I wish I did! I find I have less and less time to sleep. Or, enjoy extra times of sleep. I love a good nap, and miss my college days when you could take a nap between your 8:00 class and your 10:00. Those were the days.
My students often ask for "power naps" in class, just 5 minutes to lay their heads on their desks and snooze. Would we be a better place with a siesta? With time set aside to sleep a bit during the day? I'd like to find out.
It's especially difficult when you wake early in the morning and think "well, I'll be able to come home and sleep again soon." What a way to greet a new day! Maybe it's more about finding the discovery and the adventure in the day-to-day living we try to sleep away. I think even Hemingway could agree with that, the pessimist.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MISS BROWN!! I'm in a serious writing conundrum!! I'm totally gone! my brain is farting! however you want to say it, I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!! i started writing my story and i'm 4 pages into it or something and then my brain turns completely off!!! what do i do? i wanted to finish it today. grrrr this is so frustrating. i bet this never happened to hemingway :(

help me, literature-yoda! I NEED YOU!!!

Saturday, March 25, 2006 4:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who's opie? is he making fun of me or you? hmmmmmm....

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home