Friday, December 09, 2005

"I heard the bells, on Christmas Day,
Their old, familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men."
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Review your week: where did you feel close to God? When did you feel far away?
I'm tired. I was up late last night working on tests and preparing my exam (woohoo!), and today seems to have rough edges and sharp corners...everyone seems to be on edge. With exams coming up, school ending, etc, it truly seems that my students just want it all to be over!! So that's not a very close-to-God sort of holy moment. But it does give me opportunity to point to a direction away from worry and stress. A direction I need to be more diligent in facing.
I love cooking, and I've been cooking a lot this week, which is fun and satisfying. I love making a good meal--it's taking care of someone, and I delight in being hospitable. I've always wanted the house that's overflowing with laughter and company. And of course, a good cozy meal. That always brings me close to God. I made gingerbread this week for a couple of my classes (don't worry, English III, you'll get yours too!!), and that was a simple way of sensing who Emily Dickinson was (lowering a basket of the stuff down to the neighborhood children), and how isolated/sociable she was.
It is thankfully Friday, and I am going home. Even with grading and procrastination polluting the air, it's still good to be a teacher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home