Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"Solitude is as needful to the imagination as society is wholesome for the character." --James Russell Lowell
Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
Well, from personality tests, I've been informed that I am an extrovert borderlining on introverted-ness. What does that mean? I'm outgoing, yes. I love meeting new people, seeing new things, conversations, laughing...
But I crave time alone. To read a book and drink good coffee, to listen to music. It's nice to spend an afternoon in solitude and quiet, just absorbing my thoughts. Of course, after several hours of quiet, I need new stimulation. I get my energy from being around people.
As I get older, I've become accustomed to being alone more. When I studied in London, it truly took me awhile to get used to riding the Tube alone, or grocery shopping without company. In a city of millions, I taught myself the art of solitude.
My mom loves "her time," that is to say, her quiet hour after work to sit quiet and alone. I used to drive her crazy wanting to talk as soon as she walked in the door! Now I too enjoy silence, like to listen. It's been difficult to learn, but now I treasure it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as it is the solitude of a good book and not a mindless TV sitcom.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 10:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with it all. It's happened to me before that I fill my little spare time with alone time. The consequences can be painful. The foundation of a relationship with a friend can slowly start to crumble.
-AP

Thursday, December 01, 2005 9:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home