Tuesday, February 14, 2006

"We waste time looking for the perfect love, instead of creating the perfect love."
--Tom Robbins
What is Valentine's Day all about to you?
First and foremost, Valentine's Day has not been exciting since I left elementary school. The big, homemade envelopes, the little cartoon Valentines with your friends names scrawled on them....the love was equal, everyone could participate.
And, hey--I like things fair.
In second hour, Christina said that "this is the most awkward holiday," and I had to agree. Then, she got a rose from someone. She didn't look too awkward. But what do I know? In fifth grade, my seatmate Jeffrey Niskanin gave me a huge helium-filled balloon that said, "you are so very special" in swirly letters. I was mortified. The thing seemed to grow bigger as the day went on. The fun of Valentine's Day was over. The awkwardness had begun.
In its most innocent, elementary school form, Valentine's Day is sweet. And I really don't want to be the bitter teacher who shouts "marketing tool!" every time someone gets a "candygram" in my class. I guess, honestly, forced anything is awkward, and romance especially. In the movie Finding Forrester, Sean Connery's character says that the key to someone's heart is "an unexpected gift at an unexpected time." I agree. Romance, excitement, swirly letters--everything is better if it is spontaneous, new, and original.
Then someone brings me a chocolate candy heart, and I forget to shout about the marketing tool of this not-so-awkward day.
I hope all of you feel love today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home